Saturday, June 5, 2010

Tools...


Okay it's been a while. You're saying: "Hey the guy gets a new doggie and drops out of sight?" What the hell have I been doing? I'd like to say that I've been very busy. I'd like to say that I've been accomplishing a lot. I'd like to say that I've met the most wonderful girl and we've been on "a tear" these past months. I'd love to say that I've just finished the most wonderful screenplay... But no. None of this has happened. Oh, I have met some wonderful new people. And yes, the dog is just the best friend/animal on the planet. Kind, smart. Attentive. Loving. What a gift.

I am writing two new screenplays... SLOWLY...VERY SLOWLY.

I've been in a bit of a rut. That's life. I'm moving along. Out of it, I hope.

Teaching at the Strasberg Institute now in NYC. A good friend put in a good word and they gave me a shot. Teaching is hard. Teaching screenwriting is harder than hard. Takes me back when I was in college. I was an Economics Major at the time. Entered my first econ math class. I remember the professor saying:

"I'm going to write an problem on the board. If you can't solve it very quickly you are gong to flunk this course. So get up and leave. Drop this course as soon as you can."

And he went on to chalk something that maybe an alien from another planet might understand. So 20 of us non math types (out of a class of 30) got up and ran for the exit.

Looking back the guy was smart. He didn't want to teach something half the class would never understand, so he weeded half the class out. I can't do that. I have 6 students. I have to teach them screenwriting. And I will. But it's hard. I don't believe you can teach someone to write or act well. You can only show them your best tools and they have to take it from there. So, I'm working on my tools. Finding my way. Slowing down. Trying to make myself as clear as I can. I write from someplace else. Don't know where I got my tools... I've always had them. Now I have to share them. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment