Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Time and The Wizard Of Oz...


Okay so The Wizard Of Oz is 70 this year. Where'd the time go? Ahh, that is the question my dear Watson. Time. Is it real? Time that is. As in what's on the face of that clock? Minutes? Seconds? Hours? Pages of a calender ripped away as years slip by. As a child I remember some Christmas Eve nights lasting what seemed like an eternity.

In the film, Dorothy travels to Oz and it takes about an hour and thirty minutes or so. And yet to her film family in Kansas, she's only been out for a moment. Like our sleep. We dream what seems to be a lifetime and then we wake and realize that we've only been unconscious for a relatively short time. (there's that word again...conscious...I'm not planning this)

You know Edgar Cayce thought that our lives where taking place in a split second and our brains were so underdeveloped, it stretched the time out to what we know as "a lifetime." Think of that. Everything a person goes through in life: birth, school, dating, marriage, children, business success...or failure...sickness...death...to some folks way of thinking is only going on for a split second. Einstein thought the same way.

I know that sometimes I stop and think. Wow, where'd the time go? Just yesterday...my father was alive...I got my first bike...just yesterday...I was in collage. Just yesterday...and I was in that relationship...

Then there's the masquerade party. The scenery changes. Friends get gray and fat or bald or...(fill in the blank) And me, (Is that me now in the mirror?) I'm stiffer and move slower...perhaps a bit bent over...are my bones changing? My face? Hmmm. Where'd the time go? And this problem that's on my mind...that I've been recently worrying about? Only worth a fraction of my time compared to the rest of my life? You think? Like Dorothy's trip to Munchkinland...just a minute of time.

The older one gets, the faster times travels...why? Maybe for a good reason. My god, 2009 came and went rather quickly...didn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment