Monday, December 28, 2009

Is Someone Watching?


Earlier this year it became clear to me that in a very short time I'd be needing a new car. Mine was clocking 200,000 miles and I was afraid that there would come a day when I'd break down in the middle of nowhere, and the cost would be devastating. I set a goal for replacement by July of this year. Nothing happened. Except I became poorer. August? Nothing.

Then all is a sudden my fan switch went. I only had one speed, and that was "high." I began to look at the new car market. Then "cash for clunkers" came along...but wait...my car wasn't a clunker. September? Nope. October? Forget it.

I was stuck. Winter was coming. My old car wouldn't make it to Spring.

Then in November... A person I knew put a 2004 Red Chevy Cavalier up for sale. $4000? Not bad. (And I do love the color red) New tires, CD player, AC, more pep. "Would you take my old car?" I asked. "Give you $600 for it", they said.
Deal. So I bought the Chevy for $3400. It's like a new car. I'm so happy.

After the last storm I was needing to get myself a new snow shovel. I had let a friend use mine. I went to work soon after and found someone had left a brand new snow shovel behind. A heavy duty one. Expensive. I put it aside, but nobody came for it. A brand new shovel. Hmmmm.

My brother needed an ice scraper for his car. I bought myself a new snazzy one on a stick and extended itself, with a brush on the other end. I wanted my brother to have one. I offered to buy him one, but he was stubborn about it. I let it go. A few days later someone left a brand new one for me. Exactly the same as the one I had. Where did it come from? And the shovel, and the inexpensive car? I just asked...and... Coincidence? I guess so.

A friend of mine just moved into a new apt. in NYC near me. He doesn't have a car, but his rent came with a parking spot. So he gave it to me. I now have my own place to park in NYC.

Let me tell you, I hated parking in the street!

It's true that these happenings are small things. But...is somebody watching? Does somebody actually care what happens to me?

Maybe it's me. Maybe I care. Maybe I'm loosening up finally. Believing that I deserve these things, and that life shouldn't be so hard. That perhaps I am worth some divine help. (Whatever that means) Maybe there is a Santa Claus, or a higher being watching over me, even if that higher being is slowly becoming me.

It's time to shed the words: "Life's a bitch and then you die". And replace them with: "Life's easy and then you move on to the next life and it's a vacation!" Sound crazy? Yeah. But it could be my 2010. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment